It is still cold outside. It’s miserable, it’s wet & I’m done. Just get here already, Spring! This super simple sweet slaw (I get double dollar for alliteration) should help cheer up even the gloomiest of days though, so it’s fine. Eat this, put some sunglasses on your face & enjoy the fact that it’s March, and pretty soon we’re going to be eating food like this all the time – maybe even al fresco!
Simple Sweet Moroccan Slaw
- 1 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, sliced into thin rounds (use a food processor!)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey / agave / maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- First up, toast your pumpkin seeds in a dry pan, over a medium heat for a couple of minutes. Once they start to smell toasty, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together your oil lemon juice, honey, garlic, cinnamon & cumin. Taste & add the salt accordingly before setting aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage, carrots, cranberries, herbs & cooled toasted pumpkin seeds & mix well. Pour over the dressing & mix again, making sure everything is covered.
- Stand for 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe inspired by this Purple Power Salad