A year ago, someone told me to stop eating kale as apparently it would give my gallbladder a break (insert boring story about limited diet here) and because i generally believe any old crap people tell me, i did it.
Yes, you read me right. I quit kale FOR A YEAR. Yes it deserves CAPS LOCK, it’s a BIG DEAL.
Anyway, where am i going with this….? Oh yes, last week I fell off the wagon big time as it turns out that the said someone might actually be wrong & it maybe possible for me to have my kale & eat it (and not have to take hallucinogenic pain relievers an hour later) – hurrah!
So, one sprint to the farmers market later and a slightly adapted version of this kale slaw happened.
All was right with the world once again.
Kale & Red Cabbage Slaw
- 2 cups red cabbage – shredded
- 1 carrot – peeled, then peeled into ribbons
- 1 apple – chopped
- 2 tbs red onion – chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves – chopped
- 1 tsp sesame seeds – toasted
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 lime – juice only
- First up, toast your sesame seeds in a dry pan over a medium heat. Toss occasionally until slightly browned, taking care not to let them burn. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix your kale, red cabbage & carrots.
- Add your parsley
- Add your red onions, mix & set aside.
- It’s (mega simple) dressing time! So mix your olive oil, dijon & cider vinegar. Whisk until well combined.
- Drizzle your dressing over the kale mixture, season with your salt & mix well.
- Toss in your toasted sesame seeds, squeeze the juice from your lime & mix again…. You’re done